Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Random Acts of Kindness Birthday

On April 22, 2010, my birthday last year, I decided rather than GET gifts from people, I was going to GIVE gifts to other people, randomly.

I wish I could say I came up with the idea on my own but I read about it on Robyn Bomar`s blog.

You can read about it here!

Robyn did one random act for every year she`s been around! I didn`t really keep track of how many we did but my mom and I enjoyed it so much last year, that I think I will do it again this year!

I didn`t post it at the time because I kind of felt boastful about it. It took away the anonymous part that I so loved. But I thought if I wrote about it, more people would get the idea for THEIR birthdays and follow suit!

Here`s how it went.

My mom was visiting me so she was my partner in kindness you could say. I worked my shift at the radio station at the time then went to gather Mom.

It was a gorgeous day, sunny and bright! We started by purchasing several dozen roses, some bottled water, and a big bucket of Double Bubble bubble gum at Costco. When we got to the checkout, we also purchased $25 gift cards, both Mom and I separately. I almost bawled my eyes out when we simply turned around to the people behind us and gave them the cards and walked away. It felt so amazing!

Our first stop was for coffee! The drive-thu girl was very surprised when we gave her a rose!


We purchased coffee for ourselves and some timbits for another fun stop!

Next stop was The Dearness Home (a home for seniors) where I went in solo and randomly gave roses to people that worked there! They were entirely taken off guard but were incredibly grateful! I even went into the kitchen! I`ve worked in a kitchen, you don`t typically get much praise! It was just such a warm feeling knowing you brightened up someone`s day! I came out in tears it made me feel so good!

Then we stopped at Mom`s favourite, the Fire Training Centre! We brought just two roses and the timbits, sure enough, just two female firefighters! It worked out perfectly! I had also written in a cute card, `Thank you for unselfishly putting yourselves above others!``


Then we headed downtown! Anyone who lives here in London knows it`s a nightmare to be parked in the city`s core and your metre runs out! I had done a little preparation and purchased some rolls of quarters and loonies at the bank. Mom and I had a ball plugging all the metres! And we saw the Metre Man come by oddly enough, so some were saved from a ticket!!! We also had some more roses so gave them out too. I gave some people waiting for the bus, the change for bus fare!




Then we headed to the Springbank Park! Surely because it was such a nice day, there would be people jogging and biking! We handed out bottled water as people raced by! That part was challenging when they were whizzing by on a bike!

Next stop was the Boys`and Girls`Club where we dropped off the giant bucket of Double Bubble bubble gum! I actually had to fill out a form to donate it! However, they sent me a really nice card in the mail!

By this time, it was getting to the dinner hour so we headed home! I think if I`m a little bit more prepared this year, I could do a ton more!

It really was one of the most wonderfully uplifting days I`ve ever had!

That`s why I will do it again this year, and encourage as many of you to do it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment